Saturday, November 20, 2004

Plan 9 on a Gamecube

I have been wondering lately about modifying my Nintendo Gamecube. Recently, a group of individuals managed to boot Linux on the gamecube, and another managed to boot OS X on his gamecube. I have one of two things in mind:

1) Plan 9 cluster. Get Plan 9 to boot up on my gamecube. Actually
, this is a perfect solution, since one can remote boot. I'd like to get the initial bootloader on a memory card, then pull the secondary boot loader over the network connection. This wouldn't be the first weird implementation of this unusual OS.

2) Beowulf cluster. Years ago, I was involved in the now defunct Wulfstation project, aimed at bringing beowulf to the Playstation 2. This project failed for a variety of reasons, most of which revolved around the fact that the Playstation 2 had not been released yet. Yet, the underlying reasons for pursuing the project are still valid. Others have modded game machines to run linux/netBSD/etc., but few have really pursued the potential these machines have. Bottom line: there is a lot of machine there for $100 or less.

In order to pursue either Gamecube modification, I will need to obtain the optional, and increasingly hard to find ethernet adapter - actually several, depending on how many nodes I wish to set up. I currently have two Gamecubes, but I may want more.

Another interesting idea would be porting Apple's XGrid client to the gamecube. There has already been a Linux (reverse-engineerish hack) implementation, so hope is on the horizon. Given a bizarre set of circumstances, my current XGrid consists of (2) 350 mhz G3 towers, (1) 400 mhz G4 tower, (1) 500 mhz g3 iBook, and (1) 800 mhz g4 iBook, all using 802.11b/g to communicate (depending upon whether the g3 iBook is online). With relatively low processing power and bandwidth limitations, processor-intensive tasks could benefit from having (a) gamecube(s) aboard - cheap additional processing, a fantastic use for gaming consoles.

2 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger rob pratte said...

Commenting on my own blog....

Anyway, I found a Gamecube mod that may be helpful in my pursuit:

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another interesting box to play with for about $100 is the linux-based Linksys NSLU2. It's marketed to provide NAS via USB drives connected to the box, but of course there are plenty of creative people out there who know they can coax it do do more.

Check out http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage and http://www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home